Polynesian Resort Destroys Itself After ‘Disney Princess’ Resort
Polynesians will get to go to Disneyland Resort this spring.
After the “Disney Princess” resort resort closed last year due to declining business, the Polynesia Tourism Board said the resort was the only destination in the country that would open in the spring.
“The Polynesias will continue to be a destination of choice for visitors to our country,” board President Steve Geddes said in a statement.
The resort, known as the Poly, was built in 1950 by the Polytechnic Institute of Hawaii and opened in 1972.
The Poly is the largest tourist attraction in Polynesia.
It has four hotels, restaurants and attractions, and is owned by the Pacific Islands Development Corporation, which operates the island nation.
The company says it has “over a hundred years of experience in developing and operating Polynesiana resorts, including many that have made their mark in history.”
The Poly opened in March of last year and closed in December.
The new resort will open March 14.
“As a member of the Poly Islands Development Corp., I look forward to working with the board to ensure that this project meets the highest standards of tourism, and we will be taking full advantage of our opportunities to create a strong and sustainable Polynesias tourism industry,” Gedds said.
In 2016, the resort lost a majority of its revenues and the board announced it would not open another Poly.